1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. By continuing to use our website and server, you agree to our new policies.
    Dismiss Notice

READ THIS PSA: Using VPN Services

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Turqmelon, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Turqmelon

Turqmelon Developer
    Staff Member Head Administrator Savage Legend Ultra

Ratings:
    +1,111 / 0 / -1
    Minecraft:
    Hey, all!

We've made some changes to our punishment plugin last week that has caused a spike in bans on users for Ban Evading. I wanted to take a moment to address why this is the case.

What's a VPN?
    "A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet. VPNs are most often used by corporations to protect sensitive data."

VPNs are great for privacy and safety but have some caveats when using them on our server.

Why is it a problem?
    On Savage Games, we use a mixture of information to determine if different accounts are associated with each other. We do this for the safety of our community and to make our staff team aware of people trying to bypass bans. This info comes from the browser you use when you use our website, your ISP, your general location, and a few other factors. When you use a VPN, you take several of these factors out of the equation, which is great from a privacy standpoint, but also not so good when you remember that multiple people could be using the same VPN as you.

When we ban a player from the server, we keep track of the information they've used to play on our network and use our forums. Let's assume for one of these times, they were using a VPN. The same one as you.

When you next join the server, using that VPN, we associate you with them because you're using the same IP and company they were, thus flagging your account as associated with a banned user.

Can't I appeal? Why do you ban for that?
    For the safety of our community, we ban users who evade using VPNs as it's such a common way to bypass bans across the internet. If we look at your history and see a VPN-company owned IP address, then see bans associated with other accounts who used it, we have to make the assumption that your account is being used to bypass said ban.

How do I avoid it?
    While VPNs are great for many purposes across the internet, we recommend disabling it temporarily or whitelisting our server while playing to avoid false associations. If you don't use a VPN while playing on Savage Games, that's fine, you'll never be affected.

Again, Savage Games does not ban the use of VPNs, we simply discourage it for the reasons above. By choosing to use a VPN on our network, you assume the risk that you could be associated with a banned user, and end up with a suspended account.

Thanks,
    Devon

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Moderator Diamond Moderator Diamond x 1
  2. LIONEYE

LIONEYE Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Legend Ultra

Ratings:
    +74 / 3 / -7
    Minecraft:
    Thanks for clearing this up Devon, I appreciate it and hope it helps to prevent evasion via VPNs in the future :)

3. Topazcat97

Topazcat97 New Islander
    Ultra

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft:
    Problem is, some of us have to use a VPN to get around the collage WiFi block on Minecraft as well as other games or else we can't play anything

4. Zothuro

Zothuro Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +144 / 4 / -5
    Minecraft:
    Why play on a college campass? You should be studying :P

5. A Random Guy

A Random Guy Warzone Expert
    Savage Legend Ultra

Ratings:
    +297 / 48 / -14
    Minecraft:
    I have a question: I am the only one on my network playing skybounds so am I then completely safe with using a vpn?

6. Zothuro

Zothuro Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +144 / 4 / -5
    Minecraft:
    A VPN uses the same ip no matter who uses it. So just to be safe, don't use it.

7. Topazcat97

Topazcat97 New Islander
    Ultra

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft:
    In my dorm room, I gotta have something to do to relax after a hard day of class

8. A Random Guy

A Random Guy Warzone Expert
    Savage Legend Ultra

Ratings:
    +297 / 48 / -14
    Minecraft:
  9. KNQuaKe

KNQuaKe Tree Puncher

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft:
    I have been banned for ban evading. My appeal was accepted and I was supposed to be unbanned a long time ago and SavAgeLuke even said he unbanned me... whenever I try to Join skybounds it says lost connection whilst connection to hub: communication error. Could someone please help me I have a sled a couple staff but nothing seems to be happening.

Thanks in advanced!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Flyrhino1

Flyrhino1 Tree Puncher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft:
    I was banned for ban evading and I'm not an alt and don't use vpn but my cousin use their account at my house some times and i might have been mistaken for an alt and i was banned for ban evading could a mod or admin help me because i wan tot get unbanned because i used to play this server everyday till i got banned

11. Gavote

Gavote Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Quality Assurance

Ratings:
    +447 / 4 / -1
    Minecraft:
    @Flyrhino1 You would need to create an appeal

12. Flyrhino1

Flyrhino1 Tree Puncher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft:
    I already did

13. Flyrhino1

Flyrhino1 Tree Puncher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft:
    thx for looking out

14. Sushieeee

Sushieeee Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +202 / 10 / -2
    Minecraft:
    Thank you for clearing this up, It is very important all users read this along with any other info needed.
    Much appreciated.

15. Flyrhino1

Flyrhino1 Tree Puncher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft:
    Yes I read it and thanks for helping

16. Fabelz

Fabelz Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -1
    Minecraft:
    Perfect, as I've gotten like 10x the amount of punishments that I normally do, recently, due to the changes, and this will be perfect to attach in appeals xD

17. kalwarden2005

kalwarden2005 Tree Planter

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -0
    Minecraft:
    Idk how to set up a VPN to begin with :P

18. Do_or_dieXD

Do_or_dieXD Tree Planter
    Legend Ultra

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1
    Minecraft:
    Do siblings get banned for using the same ip as a banned player/is it possible to prove u are different people? Just curious, ty

19. meep1304

meep1304 Tree Puncher
    Ultra

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft:
    I dont think so because About 5 months ago i WAS abnned and my brother still played but now that im unabnned I can play with him so no, You shouldent. But Then again its safe t not get banned in the first place lol

20. TheRealNick

TheRealNick New Islander
    Legend

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft:
    lol yeah you should.. get off minecraft and get to work, unless your a successful youtuber:D